Wednesday, October 14, 2009

of salt and water

On Thanksgiving break I went surfing at Cape Ray, Newfoundland with four friends, taking two cars. It was my first time surfing, and was a very fun adventure. The weather changed every fifteen minutes to half hour, the only constant being an exceptionally strong wind. There was sun, rain, clouds, thunder, lightning and hail accompanying jamming into a car with 2 other people, a dog and our camping and surf gear; choppy, inshore whitewash; bundling up in a decades old tent at a deserted, closed-for-the-season camp ground; wriggling in and out of wetsuits; and kraft dinner surprise for supper. Core temperatures were lowered, sleep was lost, runny noses were in evidence, fingers were numbed, thanksgiving dinners were arrived late to, belongings were dirtied and lost, academic plans were derailed, and members of the group became ill. In a word, a very successful trip. I didn't end up getting up on the board, although I did manage a few short knee-surfs, and I didn't impress the girl much in any respect, which must have been an ulterior motive. I did have a good time with friends, and I'll be going on the next adventure, whatever it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment